Advanced search
Visit
3056
Last Updated: 2009/10/30
Summary of question
Is the marriage of a virgin without her father’s permission valid? In the case of her doing such and now wants a divorce, what should she do?
question
It has been several years that I have been married without my father’s consent. Of course later he gave me permission. Now after several years and not having ever consummated the marriage, we want to get divorced. Are both our marriage and divorces valid? This is while my family isn't content with our divorce.
Concise answer

This question doesn’t have a brief answer. Please click on the detailed answer.

Detailed Answer

Salam Aleikum and thank you for your question. We wish you success in the path of correction you have chosen for yourself.

According to the Shia point of view, the baligh virgin girl who can distinguish between what is to her benefit and what isn't, must get her father’s or paternal grandfather’s (in the case of not having a father) permission if she wants to get married. In the case of her father or paternal grandfather not being present in a way that she can't get their permission, and her having the need of getting married, their permission will no longer be a condition. The same goes for the woman who isn't a virgin; she doesn’t need to get permission either, if her virginity was lost to a previous husband. In the case of her virginity being lost by a mistaken intercourse, or even adultery, it is a mustahabb precaution to get permission if possible (which means it is better, although it still isn't a condition and isn't wajib).[1] [2]

If your marriage was without your father’s permission, then you need to act according to one of the following that Ayatullahs Khamenei, Makarem Shirazi, Safi Golpaygani and Hadavi Tehrani have said:[3]

Ayatullah Khamenei: It is necessary as an obligatory precaution for the virgin to get the permission of her father or paternal grandfather when getting married and if she gets married without permission, it is an obligatory precaution to either get the permission or for the husband to waive the rest of the marriage period (in temporary marriages) or to divorce her (if the marriage was a permanent one).

Ayatullah Makarem Shirazi: If it is possible, they must get the father’s consent, and if not, the marriage is void, and as an obligatory precaution, the husband should waive the rest of the marriage period if it is a temporary marriage, or divorce her in the case of it being permanent.

Ayatullah Safi Golpaygani: In my humble opinion, as an obligatory precaution, the marriage of a baligh virgin girl must be with the permission of her father or paternal grandfather and in the case of her not getting permission, it is an obligatory precaution that the two get divorced and if they want to get remarried, to do it with their permission. Of course, if the father gives consent to the marriage after it has been done without his permission, the first marriage contract will suffice.

Ayatullah Mahdi Hadavi Tehrani:

1- Getting permission for a virgin girl is in accordance with precaution, although it isn't a condition for the validity of the marriage.

2- In the case of permission being a condition for the validity of a virgin girl’s marriage, even if it comes after the marriage contract has been executed, it will suffice and the marriage will be valid.

3- Divorce is possible in any case, and the consent of the families isn't a condition for its execution.

Therefore, if you got married with your father’s permission, or if according to Ayatullahs Khamenei, Safi, and Hadavi Tehrani, were able to get consent after getting married, your marriage was valid and you can get divorced and since according to what you said, you didn’t consummate the marriage, you will be separated when the divorce is executed and there will be no need for you to observe the iddah (waiting period).[4] But remember that although Islam allows divorce, it frowns upon it. It is good for you to respect some of the social and family norms that aren't hard on you and if you have really made your decision to get separated, to do it in a way that your parents aren't made upset.

For further information, see:

The reason why the virgin girl must get permission for temporary and permanent marriage, Question 2074 (website: 2125).

[1] Tawdihul-Masa’el (annotated by Imam Khomeini), vol. 2, pp. 458-459.

[2] Adopted from Question 3923 (website: 4209).

[3] Religious inquiries from the offices of Ayatullahs Khamenei, Makarem, Safi and Hadavi Tehrani.

[4] Tawdihul-Masa’el (annotated by Imam Khomeini), vol. 2, pg. 529.

Question translations in other languages
Comments
Please enter the value
Example : Yourname@YourDomane.ext
Please enter the value
Please enter the value

Categorization by subject

Random questions

• Is it correct to recite salawat when hearing Surah Yasin, and is there a reason for it?
    3994 Exegesis 2011/04/20
    Reciting salawat when mentioning or referring to the Prophet (sa) has been recommended in the ahadith. A hadith reveals that the Prophet has ten names, five of which have been mentioned in the Quran. One of those names is Yasin and accordingly the Ahlul-Bayt (as) would be Aal-Yasin ...
  • Whose saying is this: "Death is sweater to me than honey."
    2165 تاريخ کلام 2011/01/10
    This saying is widely ascribed to Qasim son of Imam Hasan Mujtaba (a.s.). It is said that when his beloved uncle, Imam Hussein (a.s.) asked him "My child, my nephew, tell me, how do you regard death and what do you think about getting killed?" He promptly answered: ...
  • What are the different types of kafir?
    935 General Terms 2015/01/05
    Generally speaking, kafir can be divided into kafir from jurisprudential viewpoint and kafir from theological viewpoint, each having different types. Kafir from a jurisprudential perspective includes the original kafir, people of the book and murtadd [apostate]. People of the book are either at war with Muslim community ...
  • What are the Wahabi beliefs and their criticisms against Shia?
    4946 Traditional 2011/09/11
    Wahabis are the followers of Muhammad bin Abdul Wahhab who was the follower of the school of Ibn Taymiyah. His student, Ibn Qayyim, established and introduced new beliefs in the Arabian Peninsula. Wahabism is one of the newly-invented Islamic sects with followers in Saudi Arabia and some other countries ...
  • What color turban did the Prophet (pbuh) and the Imams (as) wear?
    4794 The infallibles 2009/10/22
    Many different societies and groups of people, including those in today’s civilized world, use signs and symbols to recognize and communicate with one another. Seyyids, as a result of historical occurrences and religious and social motives have also taken on different signs and slogans. From a religious point ...
  • Which of the two versions of Hadith Thaqalayn are more authentic?
    267 سرنوشت حدیث 2015/06/18
    The text of the report transmitted by Ahl-e Sunnah in Sahih Muslim, Sahih Timidhi and Musnad of Ahmad bin Hanbal is as such: "The Book of Allah and my progeny ('itrah)" This is the famous version of the tradition found in their books. However, there is another ...
  • Was Prophet Adam the eighth person to live on earth?
    11022 Contextual study 2009/12/17
    According to Islamic teachings firstly: there is no doubt that Prophet Adam was the first person of the current generation of human beings and that this generation are all born from him. Secondly, before Prophet Adam there were humans that lived and were called Insans or "nasnases", but ...
  • Is it permissible to invest in non-Muslim countries?
    1843 Laws and Jurisprudence 2009/04/21
    In response to your inquiry, the grand Ayatullah Khamenei says: “Investing in the banks of countries with non-Islamic governments is permissible per se, given that it doesn’t strengthen them politically and economically such that they will use it against Muslims and Islam, and in ...
  • Please provide me with a dua that will help me to find a pious and suitable wife.
    4492 Theoretical 2007/04/10
    Allah has established methods for everything; if one wants to get a positive result he must act in accordance to the method. The way to find a suitable spouse is through precise research and knowing the person. Of course, one must also seek Allah’s ...

Popular

Links